A simple tutorial to do a windscreen for your microphone (⌀ 20mm), step by step. Do It Yourself following each step below.
- Obal (⌀ 10cm) x2 ⋍ 6€ each
- Synthetic Fur (⋍1m x 50cm)
- Suspension Superlux HM30 ⋍ 3€
- Sugru (moldable glue) x2
- Elastic cord (⋍1m)
- Plastics cord locks x 2
- Sewing thread
- Sheet of paper
- Cutter (Blade Knife)
- Permanent ink pen
- Poska paint marker
- Sewing machine
STEP 1 | SUSPENSION
- Take out the inner part of the Superlux suspension HM30
- Cut it in the middle with the cutter (Blade Knife)
- Put each part of the suspension in one of the hole of the Oball
STEP 2 | SUGRU (or silicone with cornstarch)
- Open one of the Sugru package
Note about Sugru: You could do your own moldable glue mixing 50% silicone with 50% cornstarch (maizena) to get a similar result as the sugru.
- Apply the Sugru (or the silicone mix) between the suspension and the oball, in order to glue both elements. One pack per ball is enough.
- Let it dry for 24hours before using
STEP 3 | SYNTHETIC FUR
- Mark with a chalk or liquid chalk paint marker a circle of 10,5cm and a rectangle of 34cm x 10,5cm
- Cut the figures with scissors
STEP 4 | SEWING MACHINE
- Saw the pieces of synthetic fur with a sewing machine
- Put an elastic cord on the edge and a plastic cord lock at the end of it
STEP 5 | MOUNTING ON MICROPHONE
- After 24h mount the windscreen on your microphone
- Put the synthetic fur on it
- Go to record in the wind!
This tutorial is not an invention, but rather a combination of different ideas and DIY experiments on the internet, specially Jérôme Bailly for his nice initiative. Many thanks to Marie-Christine Cabanas and Elisa Lana for the sewing part!
Tutorial on Mécanique de sons mecaniquedessons.com/tuto-bonnette-micro/
Cinela Leo 20mm https://www.trewaudio.com/product/cinela-leo/
Baby Ball by Rycote https://mymic.rycote.com/products/20mm-bbg-windshield/
Schoeps W20 https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/windscreens-for-mono/w-20.html
Missing a link to a nice DIY tutorial or another nice way of buying a windscreen for microphone?
Do you want to share with us your own picture or tips to do it?